About Dr. Tang
Dr. Tang grew up in San Francisco and completed degrees in Philosophy and Engineering from UC Berkeley. He graduated from the USC School of Medicine with highest distinction where he was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical school honor society.
Following an internship at the LA County-USC Medical Center, Dr. Tang received neurosurgical training at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard and Emory University where he completed a fellowship in spine surgery. Dr. Tang is Board Certified and recently passed the board of Neurosurgery’s recertification exam.
The most important part of his training, however, has been performing over 5000 surgeries and seeing over 15,000 patients, the experience that most surgeons amass only over a long career. Refining techniques that work, discarding ones which disappoint while cautiously incorporating the latest technology, Dr. Tang strives to improve while maintaing a reputation as a conservative surgeon who reserves surgery as a last resort. He has received awards as a "Top Doctor" by Castle and Connolly or Best Doctors continuously since 2009.
Dr. Tang has authored over one hundred presentations and publications and received over twenty awards including:
- The American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurosurgeons Mayfield Award for Spine Research
- The Galbraith Award by the Cerebrovascular Section of the AANS/CNS
- The National Alpha Omega Alpha Research Award
- The Council of Neurosurgical Societies Research Award
Dr. Tang is affiliated with the following hospitals in the East Bay:
- Alta Bates Medical Center, Berkeley
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
- Children’s Hospital of Oakland
- Kaiser Oakland